• How does North Hornell Elementary School support our youngest learners' social-emotional needs?
      1. Tier 1: All students in 3 pre-kindergarten, 4 pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and 1st grade will receive weekly tier 1 social-emotional learning lessons, we call them Red Raider Strong lessons and they take place in your child's classroom. We focus on monthly character traits, and mindfulness activities are integrated into e lesson:
        1. September: Whole Body Listening & Following Directions
        2. October: Safety & Personal Space
        3. November: Gratitude & Giving back
        4. December: Feelings & Empathy
        5. January: Responsibility, Manners & Self-Control
        6.  February: Kindness, Friendship & Diversity
        7. March: Growth Mindset & Careers
        8. April: Perseverance & Positive Self-Talk
        9. May: Cooperation, Turn Taking & Teamwork
        10. June: Respect & Integrity
      2. Tier 2: All students will also receive weekly tier 2 social-emotional learning lessons, based upon classroom and student needs. Your child’s teacher will select students to attend on a rotating basis and these lessons will take place in your child's school counselor office. Our small group work will focus on increasing: self-awareness, social awareness, self-management, relationship skills, and responsible decision making. (NYSED learning standards)
      3. Tier 3: Services in tier 3 may include:
        1. IEP Counseling - For students who are classified and have psychological counseling listed on their individualized education plan
        2. Behavior Management Counseling - For students whose behaviors are interfering with the learning of self or others
        3. Crisis Counseling - For students who need immediate social-emotional and/or behavioral support
    • Who is my child’s school counselor?
      1. Carli Cavanaugh will support 3 pre-kindergarten and 1st grade students. She can be reached by phone 607-324-0014 ext. 1123, or email carli.cavanaugh@hornellcsd.org, or by private messaging on ClassDojo.
      2. Kasi Wasburn will support 4 pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students. She can be reached by phone 607-324-0014 ext. 1739, or email kasi.washburn@hornllcsd.org, or by private messaging on ClassDojo.

    • What does an elementary school counselor do?
      1. As school counselors, we are here to support all students in the areas of: academic achievement, social-emotional development, and career exploration. We like to call ourselves professional helpers because we love helping students be successful.

    • How do I refer my child for school counseling services?
      1. We have been very thoughtful in the delivery of our tier 1 and tier 2 social-emotional learning supports. If you feel your child needs additional tier 3 support (individual counseling) you can contact your child’s teacher and/or your child’s school counselor. 

    • Who do I reach out to for technology issues?
      1. For technology issues, please contact the Curriculum Suite at 607-324-1303 ext. 1525. 

    • My child is struggling in school, how can he/she get extra support?
      1. If your child is struggling in class, it is recommended to reach out directly to your child’s classroom teacher to explore possible interventions and strategies. If there are still concerns after reaching out to your child’s teacher, please reach out to your child’s school counselor or principal to discuss further options. A referral to our Student Support Team may be recommended.  

    • What is the process to refer my child to SST (Student Support Team)?
      1. The North Hornell SST meets on a weekly basis, this is a highly positive and collaborative process. Classroom teachers make the initial referral with parent input. We discuss students:
        1. Strengths - We build from these strengths and areas of interest
        2. Needs - We carefully identify what specific areas students are struggling or behind
        3. Data - We strategically collect data to help drive our instruction and interventions
        4. Goals - We set specific goals to address student needs, we put interventions in place, and progress monitor students growth

    • What is the process to get my child an IEP (individualized education plan) or 504 accommodation plan?
      1. Questions regarding special education services should be directed to Pupil Personnel Services at 607-324-1303 ext. 1109.